Monday, February 4, 2013

A Good Smell

Hello!  Recently my mom bought me a devotional called Wonderfully Made which you can find here.  One of the first devotions was called 'A Beautiful Aroma'.  It started out by telling a short story in which the author sat behind a woman who had a perfume on that smelled amazing.  The author and her mom who was with her asked the woman for the name of the perfume she was wearing.  They both wanted to smell just like her. 

The devotion went on to talk about how Christians should have a good smell too.  Sometimes when I'm outside in the late afternoon doing chores and it's cold and muddy and it smells like dead worms (sorry to be gross), I come into the house and I immediately can tell that whatever Mom's cooking for dinner is going to be awesome.  It should be the same way with us.  When we walk into a room, or have a conversation, or meet someone, we should have a fragrance that invites people to wonder what perfume we're wearing.  Whatever that "fragrance" is for you, whether it's your smile, your friendly disposition, your joyfulness, or your overall attitude, people should sense a difference in us as Christians. 

That difference should be good.  If you're a Christian and you have a bad smell, then what does that say about who you're trying to represent?  If I say I'm a Christian, then shouldn't I have a good smell?  If I chose to wear a scowl or a bad attitude, or acted as if I didn't care about people when I met them, or had  conversation, then that wouldn't smell very good.  Instead of bringing a good smell when I came into a room, I might cause people to pinch their noses and turn away in disgust.  I don't think that's how God's children should smell. 

I know that I don't always smell good.  My perfume isn't always so good that people ask me what I'm wearing.  When you claim to be a follower of Christ, can people tell when you walk in the room?  How do you smell; what perfume are you wearing?  xo, Ella

0 comments:

Post a Comment